"The Enemy" redirects here. If you meant the first novel in the series, click here.
The Enemy is a post-apocalyptic young children horror series written by Charlie Higson. The book takes place in London after a worldwide sickness has infected everyone sixteen and older and turned them into creatures similar to zombies. The Enemy was published by Puffin Books in the UK on 3 September 2009 and by Disney-Hyperion in the U.S. on 11 May, 2010. The second novel, titled The Dead, was published on 16 September, 2010. The third novel, titled The Fear in the series was published on 15 September, 2011. The fourth novel, The Sacrifice, was published on 20 September, 2012. The fifth and sixth novels are titled The Fallen, published 12 September, 2013, and The Hunted, published 4 September, 2014. The final book is set to be called The End. So far all the books have been published in September in the UK. The series is planned to include seven installments.
The series has recieved good reviews. It is noted for its freedom to kill off any possible character, and so leaves the reader on edge.
The series follows many different characters and their individual story lines, though they all build towards the main story line, a battle betweent he grown up zombies and the surviving children. Each of the first four books ends with a chapter from the POV of the series main villain. As of The Fear there have been small introduction chapters from the POV's of new major villains.
The Enemy Edit
The Enemy is the first book in the Enemy Series and is third book chronologically. It was published on the 3rd of September 2009. The book follows different characters story lines (all part of a larger story line which covers the series) and their survival through London:
- The first is of the Holloway crew, a group of kids from North London, looking to make their way to Buckingham Palace, which is a safe Haven, but the road is dangerous and they can't all survive. This story line follows multiple POV characters.
- The second is of Small Sam, a nine year old boy who used to belong to the Holloway crew but was kidnapped by adults. His story is about his survival and search for his friends and the trials he must face in a diseased world.
- The third story line follows a boy named Callum, who stays behind at the Holloway crew's old settlement, and how his life changes after they leave.
- A chapter at the end comes from the view point of the main villain of the series St George, and it briefly shows his plans and aims.
The Enemy follows eight main characters, as well as various surporting characters;
Central & Main characters named, for supporting characters see the characters list.
- Arran Harper
- Small Sam
The Dead is the second book in the series and the first book chronologically. It was published on the 16th of September 2010. The book follows a single story line of survivors, but is seen from their different perspectives:
- Ed; Hoping to make it to the country, must change his plans when sickos attack, and instead travels to London with a mismatched group and his friend Jack. From then on its a race of survival where he must find food and keep he and his friends alive.
- Jack; Bestfriends with Ed, he aims to make it to South London to go home and find what he feels is a missing part of him, along the way making sure that his friends are ready for surviving this new world.
- Matt; A boy from Ed and Jack's school, he has become mentally affected by carbon monoxide poisioning and now wishes to convert people to his new religion, after seeing a vision in his delirious state. He will stop at nothing to reach the holy city of London.
- Justin; Known as the king of the nerds, he wants to learn more about the disease and eventually one day find a cure.
- Greg; Known as the butcher, a un-diseased adult, he is escaping the country where there are hoardes of zombies, to save his son Liam, but along the way must face both sickos and his own inner struggle.
The Dead features many characters, the main characters are listed here, but you can find the others on the characters list article;
The Fear is the third book in the series and the second book chronologically. It was released on the 15th of September 2011. It follows multiple story lines with two major ones of note;
- A crew lead by Dognut travel across London from the Tower to explore and find their missing friends. Along the way they will face dangers and perils, and will change the future forever.
- Jester is left with the task of leading a small party from the Palace to North London, in search of other kids to use as a army. He takes with him Shadowman, a spy and survivor who knows the streets of London like the back of his hand, but can their friendship hold in this dangerous adventure.
The Fear follows six main characters as well as some recurring characters.
- St George
- St George's luitenants
The Sacrifice Edit
The fourth book in the series, and along with The Fallen, the fourth book chronologically. It was released September the 20th of 2012. It follows three major storylines, with a few chaptes following other characters;
- Small Sam and the Kid leave the safety of the Tower in search of his sister, but along the way they are trapped and must fight to escape.
- Ed must lead a search party to find Sam and the Kid and return them to safety, but this means going into the No Go Zone, a area of danger and mystery.
- Shadowman has a new mission, to track the Fear, St George's army, but with new tests and trials this will prove more difficult than he first thought.
Notable chapters following other characters;
- Nicola- a quick look into what is going on at the Houses and her meeting with other settlements.
- David- a look at his plans for the future and also what has been happening for him the previous few days.
- Ryan- we see a first look from his point of view and how he sees this new world.
There is also another chapter from St. George, as the book always ends on.
The book follows five main characters and many recurring and supporting characters.
- Small Sam
- The Kid
- Ed Carter
- Mad Matt
- St George
Notable supporting characters;
- Jordan Hordern
The Fallen Edit
The Fifth book in the series and along with The Sacrifice the fourth chronologically. It was released on September the 12th of 2013. It follows three main plot lines with with a few chapters following other characters;
- Einstein and Blue lead a group of 25 to Prometheus Warehouse in order to find drugs and knowledge to help them make a cure for the disease. When they reach the Warehouse they discover more than they expected.
- Maxie and the kids at the museum struggle to find the person responsible for releasing the grown-ups into the museum as well as their difficulties in trusting each other.
- Paul Channing fights with his inner demons and his own hunger as he faces becoming something unspeakable with terrible consequenses.
Other storylines include;
- Maeve's desire to return to the countryside.
- Ella trying to forget about her brother's disappearance.
- David's difficulty with the Royal Family.
Main point of view characters include:
- Paul Channing
- Big Mick
Notable supporting characters include:
- Blue-Tack Bill
- Wiki and Jibber-Jabber
- The Green Man
- Do You Think Emma May Possibly Still Be Alive?